Saturday, April 2, 2011

People of Pioneer Square. Part 2

And now for Warren. Warren may be my favorite person I encounter everyday. He reminds me of a big, lost child in a cruel, cruel world. An innocent that is stuck, perpetually, swimming with sharks. Warren is about 5-10 and an easy 240 puppy dog pounds. With his big, sandblast proof grin he is one of the first individuals that crosses the threshold every morning.

Tall pike, no room. No worries Warren, coming right up.

And so it goes. All afternoon.

It is usually on my lunch break that I get to talk to Warren and the gang. They start me off with a "whats new" session of the latest gossip in Pioneer Square. Then, of course being Seattle, the weather. Not IF, but how much its going to rain and WILL oh WILL there be sun today. Warren, who is the least vocal of the crew, lets others talk as a rule and just adds addendums here and there. But that smile man. Its infectious. Someone that wears their heart on their sleeve. I have had students like Warren and met many people over the years like this man, who at best is 30. They are infectious, the kind of people that you couldnt dream of hurting, only wish them success and cant imagine how they have gotten themselves in the situation they are in; much less how the hell they could still smile all the time. What the FUCK do you have to smile about man!
I know full well what the answer is but it still baffles me after 36 years.

"I'm still here, things are ok today and they will be better tomorrow"

How they hell can that not brighten your day. Talk about eternal optimism from a person that has nothing left to loose. How can you have problems? You dont.

No comments:

Post a Comment