Friday, April 1, 2011

The People of Pioneer Square. Part 1

Hello everybody. I would like you to meet John. John is one of the many homeless, which is a misnomer and I will get to that, that occupy the space that is Pioneer Square. John is an affable, outgoing man in his early 50's, with wild grey hair that puts one in mind of a 1930's scientist. If you can find a day John is not smiling then let me know. I have not seen one yet. In a nutshell here is his story: semi-retired carpenter, out of work, too old to hire, too young to retire. He gets some disability, but is a healthy strong 6-2 195. No work these days so John lives on the streets of Seattle. By day he lounges in the many Starbucks that occupy Pioneer Square, giving advice and helping some of the younger guys that have recently become "homeless." By night he is scouring the many shelters looking for a bed.

*The term homeless is fucking meaningless, these people dont need homes, they need houses or apartments. A home is a construct: man, wife, child=home. These people need affordable places to live and should be labeled as so. How about "Street People," at least that is fucking honest.

Every time I come away from talking to John, which is on a daily basis the past month, I feel better as a person. How can it be then, that the ignored, the Street People if you will, can bring joy to other people when they have so little to give. It's the human condition and something I lost sight of and took for granted; all theory and no practicality. After 13 years away from university I finally get to use my degree for which it was intended. I get to interact with people; study them and make/ form my own opinions. No university bias, no news spin and no hyperbole. I can only hope I get to meet more people like John; men with integrity and decency for fellow humans. It's just a shame I have to find those qualities in the Street People of Seattle. Maybe we could all learn a lesson. Next time you see a "homeless" person on the street, say hi to them. You may learn something about yourself. Or you may just make someone smile, at least for a little while, something for which we all should strive.

No comments:

Post a Comment