Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Take the children........not the books!

I have been reading a lot lately. I mean A LOT. I am not complaining, just stating a fact, but here is my problem. With age comes wisdom, supposedly, and now that I am screaming ("a screaming comes across the sky...": First line in Thomas Pynchon's-V.) through pages and pages, something interesting and unusual has happened. I have started to read with a keen and critical eye. Truman Capote once posed that finishing a book is like taking a child out back and shooting it, and while that may or may not appeal to your morbid sense of humor, it does mine, their is validity in that statement. I have finished 3 books in a row, I spare you the privilege of knowing which ones, and damn-it......all three ended and my proverbial child was taken out back.

So it goes......

Well, now comes the difficult part. Picking the next child to be sacrificed. I always have a hard time picking the next book. I guess Capote was right........

..........the dogs bark and the caravan marches on............

My life is riddled with difficult decisions......can't you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment